Start-up Australia was founded by George Jessup and Stephen Robinson and has been intimately connected to the life sciences industry for over 15 years.
We have assessed many hundreds of early-stage companies and research projects, analysing risk factors, pathway to market, funding requirements and financial return. In many cases we have invested directly, successfully backing our judgement.
Some of our key outcomes
- Raising and managing two investment funds that generated top quartile returns internationally.
- From these funds (totalling $47.7 million), distributed $85.3 million cash to give the private investors an IRR after all costs of 13.6% per year for an 11 year period.
- Worked closely with portfolio companies to recruit management, develop high growth strategies, interact with capital markets and develop international partnerships.
- Closely involved in a wide range of corporate transactions and liquidity events in portfolio companies.
- Played a key role in assisting portfolio companies in raising a further $179 million from other sources.
- Five therapeutic drugs taken into clinical trials.
- One drug approved for marketing in the US.
- Participated in a wide range of M&A activity in portfolio companies to achieve liquidity including; sale of Technico to an Indian company, acquisition of Absalus Inc., merger of EvoGenix with Arana, sale of Arana to Cephalon Inc., sale of Iliad Chemicals to Bionomics and sale of Promics to Peptech.
- Played a key role in two IPOs: Alchemia and EvoGenix.